Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter
Good Reads Summary
The Mad Scientist’s Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter is the heartbreaking story of the journey from childhood to adulthood, with an intriguing science fictional twist.

There’s never been anyone - or anything - quite like Finn.
He looks, and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task is to tutor Cat.
When the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world.


My Thoughts
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not often am I glad to find myself mistaken in my assumptions; I’d assumed, having read this author’s debut, that this would run along the same lines as that: you know, a different sort of YA? And for some reason I’d also assumed it would be some sort of retelling. I was wrong on both counts. I didn’t even bother to read the blurb. What with the author’s name stamped across it? What with that very catchy title? Easy sell that I am, I was stoked to see I’d been approved. Anyway, reading this proves yet again that I really must at least glance at the blurb… though that blurb too does little for this one.

So, I read YA. The Mad Scientist’s Daughter is most definitely not YA. Cat’s story is split into the three parts of her as child, then teenager, and finally adult… but even in the childhood portion of things, things felt weighed, heavy somehow (read as slightly off, somehow icky sometimes.) Perhaps like me, you’d be surprised that this is more a love story than anything else. But under that too, there’s a tale of a girl/woman who grows over time, stumbles, and makes mistakes, proves herself selfish… but redeems herself in the end.

Love story? Deep questions of humanity, consciousness and servitude aside, this one is a love story that was sometimes long and painful to witness; painful given the two of them being less than stellar. I mean, the woman alone is selfish, cold, manipulative… and bottom line? Her choices made it very difficult to like her. The man-android’s presence isn’t as strongly felt as the woman’s till’ the last third at least. At which point, well… only more pain, as it’s obvious that his experience is not easy either! So, we witness Cat do some terribly selfish things, and therefore dumb things, but for both of them, there’s a lot of emotion, of her recognizing those emotions for what they were… and him recognizing then voicing out the same.

It’s a long book, starting with a young Cat, who lives isolated and happy to be wrapped up in her world of stories…slowly (and slowly it did) progressed to her a young adult to an adult. She confused me more than once. How she could feel the way she did, but she had me hooked too, mainly because I wanted to understand exactly what was going on and why and what was to come.

Why I liked this: she may have been selfish, she might have been flawed... but in the end she redeemed herself.

Thank you Net galley!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment